My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Dempsey is a Golden Retriever puppy who is in training to become a Helping Paws service dog for an individual with a physical disability. He lives with his parents Doreen and Paul, and Bailey the cat. None has ever trained a puppy before. These are their adventures. The views and opinions expressed in this blog are strictly those of the blog author. The contents of this blog have not been reviewed or approved by Helping Paws, Inc.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Location, location, location

People always seem to have a favorite arrondisement, which, they will point out, is simply the very best for the food in one, the shopping in another. Our main criteria in choosing our little apartment were more practical - price and a relatively quick commute to Jouy en Josas. With a two hour commute each way, I would say we failed.

One serendipity however, has been our neighborhood. You've already seen our patisserie across the street. (They have the most delicious croissants. Seriously, those things we consume in the states should be illegal.) The people who work there are always so busy, yet they pretend to understand my French and graciously pause with each response, allowing me to translate what they have asked me ...compute...think of my response in English...translate from English to French...then offer a quick, c'est tout - au revoir, merci, before I am forced to engage in any more discourse out of my very limited range.

Today, I visited the farmer's market, which can be found all year round on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It is literally steps away from our front door. The displays are surprisingly elaborate - you can find the usual array of produce and flowers - but also a variety of olives, nuts, candies, honey, fish, whole chickens and some stands with items that appeared to have been blissfully wandering some meadow only moments before. I kept my distance from those.

All this, and I have only ventured a few blocks in each direction. I can't wait to see what lies beyond!