My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Dempsey is a Golden Retriever puppy who is in training to become a Helping Paws service dog for an individual with a physical disability. He lives with his parents Doreen and Paul, and Bailey the cat. None has ever trained a puppy before. These are their adventures. The views and opinions expressed in this blog are strictly those of the blog author. The contents of this blog have not been reviewed or approved by Helping Paws, Inc.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

More rats

Well, at least I'm feeling better today.

Yesterday afternoon, I was rooting around our micro-fridge for a snack, when I saw the Danone vanilla yogurt that Doreen had bought. I opened one up, and it was absolutely delicious -- rich and creamy, and utterly unlike any so-called "yogurt" you can get in America. It was so good, I went back for another, and noticed they were expiring today. Since I hate to waste food, I ate all four cups right then and there.

This is not a good idea if, like me, you are lactose intolerant. I spent the rest of Saturday, and a good part of today, in agony in the bathroom.

That's when I heard our other rat.

I say "other" because I know we got rid of the first one. The day after we set out some poison, Doreen came home from the market to see a sick rat staggering around the entrance to our building. Fortunately, the owner of the Chinese restaurant next door also saw it. He seemed to become very agitated, and ran back into the restaurant. He came back out with a plastic grocery bag, which he used to scoop up the poor thing. Then he went back in the restaurant with the rat in the bag. We never saw it again. (Memo to self: Best not to order a hot dog chinois here, either.)

That was over a week ago, so I'm sure this is a different guy. The half-eaten poison is still here, untouched for over a week. I'll have to think of something new to outsmart the little varmint.

I'm still thinking.